Health Insurance

The following is general information on Medi-Cal and HealthPAC.  Should you require further information, please follow the links provided.  You may also contact the Mental Health Association of Alameda County for additional information and assistance with obtaining health converage.  


               Quick Links





Do you qualify for Medi-Cal benefits?

If you are enrolled in one of the following programs, you can get Medi-Cal:

•CalWorks (AFDC)
•Refugee Assistance
•Foster Care or Adoption Assistance Program
You can also get Medi-Cal if you are:

•65 or older
•Under 21
•In a skilled nursing or intermediate care home
•On refugee status for a limited time, depending how long you have been in the United States
•A parent or caretaker relative or a child under 21 if:

The child's parent is deceased or doesn't live with the child, or
The child's parent is incapacitated, or
The child's parent is under employed or unemployed

•Have been screened for breast and/or cervical cancer (Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Program)

Contact your local County office for more information or apply on-line at

                                    Medi-Cal -  How to Apply

•Call or visit your local County Social Services office and ask for a Medi-Cal application or Apply on-line (Not DHCS)
•If you need help filling out the forms, call the county social services agency, or contact the Mental Health Association of Alameda County.
•Mail or take your application with the required verifications (proof) to the nearest social services agency in your county. If you don’t have all your verifications, or are not sure of what you need, please send what you have. You can send the rest later. The sooner the social services agency receives your application, the sooner your case may be processed and your Medi-Cal benefits can begin.
•If you get SSI/SSP payments, your Social Security administration office automatically sets up Medi-Cal for you. No separate application for Medi-Cal is needed. You will get your Medi-Cal card (BIC) in the mail.
•If you get CalWORKs payments, the county social services agency automatically sets up Medi-Cal for you. No separate Medi-Cal application is needed. You will get your Medi-Cal card (BIC) in the mail.

The California Department of Mental Health administers a number of programs for children and youth. The programs’ services are directly provided at the local level by counties and their contract providers. To find local mental health services, contact your local county mental health agency 

The Network of Care for Mental Health is a great resource to obtain information about mental health issues and to search for a wide variety of mental health and other support services in your local community.  To find local mental health services, contact your local county mental health agency.

For more information about California Department of Mental Health programs for children and youth, contact the DMH Children and Family Program Policy office at (916) 654-2680.



What is HealthPAC?

HealthPAC (formerly known as CMSP or ACE) provides comprehensive health care services through a contracted network of health care providers.

Health services are provided through the HealthPAC Provider Network, which includes both the Alameda County Medical Center and primary care community-based organizations.

Who does it cover?

In order to be eligible for HealthPAC coverage individuals must:

1.    Be a resident of the County of Alameda
2.    Have a gross monthly income at or below the 200% Federal Poverty Level
3.    Not be enrolled in or eligible for full- scope Medi-Cal

How do I apply?

If you think that you may be eligible for this program, contact one of the following providers.

When you call one of the providers you should expect to go through an eligibility screening process.

If you have questions about the program or eligibility requirements, please call HealthPAC Customer Services at 1-877-879-9633 or email at  (This is not a secure e-mail. Do not put personal health information in the e-mail.)

Where can I get more information?

Call HealthPAC Customer Service at 1-877-879-9633, Monday – Friday, 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M., or visit them online here.